Joseph W. Adams, a farmer of Miami township, former assessor of that township and a resident of the Clifton neighborhood, was born on a farm in the vicinity of Xenia, in Xenia township, August 25. 1852, a son of James G. G. and Eleanor C. (Hutchinson) Adams, the former a native of the state of Massachusetts and the latter of Pennsylvania, who were married in this county and who later became residents of Miami township, remaining there until their retirement from the farm and removal to Yellow Springs, where their last days were spent.
James G. G. Adams was born in 1820 and was but a small child when his father died. His mother, who was a Galloway, not long afterward came to Greene county and here presently married George Townsley. James G. G. Adams was but a child when he came to Greene county with his mother from his native Massachusetts and his schooling was obtained in the Xenia city schools. At the age of eighteen years he became engaged in teaching school and was thus engaged at the time of his marriage in 1849. After his marriage he continued teaching for a few years and then began farming in Xenia township, later moving to Miami township, where he was engaged in farming until his retirement and removal to Yellow Springs, where he spent the rest of his life, his death occurring there on January 2, 1898. He was buried in beautiful Woodland cemetery at Xenia.
It was on December 20, 1849, that James G. G. Adams was united in marriage to Eleanor C. Hutchinson, who was but a girl when she came to this county with her parents from Pennsylvania, and to that union were born nine children, two of whom died in infancy, the others being as follows: George T., born on October 8, 1850, who became an expert telegrapher and who died on January 21, 1876; Joseph W., the subject of this biographical sketch; Anna M., born on October 11, 1854, who died when three years of age; Charles Ezbon, April 18, 1858, who became a lawyer and who died on January 8, 1898; Frank E., January 1, 1861, who is now engaged in the mercantile business in the West; James A., October 7, 1862, also living in the West, where he is engaged as an electrician, and J. Harwood, May 15, 1866, now living retired at Yellow Springs.
Joseph W. Adams received his schooling in the Xenia township schools. After his marriage in 1879 he began farming on his own account in Cedarville township and later moved to a farm in Beavercreek township, where he remained for eighteen years, or until his return to Miami township in 1903, in that year taking possession of the farm on which he is now living and where he has since resided. Mr. Adams is assisted in the management of his farm by his younger son, Howard, who is still at home. Mr. Adams is a Republican and has served as township assessor and at various times as a member of the school board.
On September 24, 1879, Mr. Adams was united in marriage to Minnie A. Anderson, daughter of James and Catherine (Blair) Anderson, of Cedarville township, both of whom were natives of Scotland and who were the parents of two children, Mrs. Adams having had a brother who died in his youth. Mr. and Mrs. Adams have five children, namely: Charles A., born on July 14, 1880, now farming in Miami township, who married Grace Harner, of Beavercreek township, and has one child, a daughter, Elva, born on December 14, 1913; Franke Eleanor, September 17, 1881, who married David J. Schwarz and has one child, a son, Paul W., born on February 4, 1908; James R., now a member of the detective force of the city of Springfield, Ohio, who on June 27, 1912, married Geneva Robinson; Joseph C., April 17, 1890, who became an electrician and who is now a member of the national army, attached to the artillery division in training at Camp Sherman, and Howard, April 8, 1894, who is unmarried and who is assisting his father in the management of the home farm, a member of the Clifton lodge of the Knights of Pythias. Mr. and Mrs. Adams and three of the children are members of the Presbyterian church at Yellow Springs. Mrs. Schwarz and Charles A. are members of the Reformed church.
From History of Greene County Ohio, Its People, Industries and Institutions, vol. 2. M.A.Broadstone, editor. B.F.Bowen & Co., Indianapolis. 1918