WILLIAM M. JACKSON.  Few men are better known to the people of Youngstown as capable and public-spirited citizens that William M. Jackson, who after considerable business experience is now in charge of the Soldiers' Relief Commission and secretary of the board of Youngstown. Having himself, during his young manhood fought to maintain the Union, he has lost his love for the flag he so honored, and is patriotic instructor in connection with his post of the Grand Army of the Republican, in which he has held all of the offices, including that of commander. With such a record behind him he is the right person to look after the veterans of a later war that the one in which he participated so bravely.

 

William M. Jackson was born in Augusta, Carroll County, Ohio, April 1, 1845, a son of Isaac and Mary (Manfull) Jackson, natives of England, who came to the United States in 1818, and settled on a farm in Carroll County, Ohio, becoming prominent pioneer settlers of that county. This property they bought, and lived on it until 1866, when they sold it and moved to Wisconsin. After a brief period spent in that state, however, they again changed, and settled permanently in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, where he died in 1868, aged sixty-seven years. The wife and mother, who was born in 1811, survived him until 1900.

 

Residing with his parents until he enlisted in the Union army, William M. Jackson was enrolled in Company A, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, August 15, 1862, under Capt. Jacob Weyland, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. In October, 1864, Captain Weyland was succeeded by Capt. John W. Cook. Mr. Jackson participated in the battles of Martinsburg, West Virginia, June 14, 1863; Wapping Heights, Virginia, July 23, 1863; Culpeper Court House, Virginia, October 11, 1863; Bristone Station, Virginia, October 14, 1863; Realton and Rappahannock Bridge, Virginia, October 24, 1863; Kelly's Ford, Virginia, November 7, 1863; Locust Grove, Virginia, November 27, 1863; Mine Run, Virginia, November 28, 1863; Wilderness, Virginia, May 5-7, 1864; Alsop's Farm, Virginia, May 8, 1864; Spotsylvania, Virginia, May 8-18, 1864; North Ann River, Virginia, May 23, 1864; Tolopotomy Creek, Virginia, May 30-31, 1864; Cold Harbor, Virginia, June 1-12, 1864; Bermuda Hundred, Virginia, June 18, 1864; Monocacy, Virginia, July 9, 1864; Snickers Ferry, Virginia, July 18, 1864; Charleston, West Virginia, August 21, 1864; Smithfield, Virginia, August 29, 1864; Opequon, Virginia, September 19, 1864; Flint Hill, Virginia, September 21, 1864; Fisher's Hill, Virginia, September 22, 1864; Cedar Creek, Virginia, October 19, 1864; Petersburg, Virginia, March 25, 1865; and a second engagement at Petersburg, April 2, 1865. On May 6, 1864, during the battle of the Wilderness, Mr. Jackson was wounded in the right shoulder, and he still carries the ball. Because of this injury he was confined in Jarvis Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, for two months. On October 19, 1864, he was wounded in the right leg, during the battle of Cedar Creek, but was able to report for duty within a month's time. His honorable discharge bears the date of May 14, 1865.

 

Returning home following his discharge from the army Mr. Jackson took a much-needed rest, and then became a clerk in the dry-goods store at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. For the succeeding fifteen years he maintained his connection with this house as clerk and later as traveling salesman, and then, going to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he became a traveling salesman for a wholesale notion house, and represented it on the road for two years. Going then to Sharon, Pennsylvania, he opened a furnishing goods store, and conducted it very profitably for fourteen years, but, selling it, went on the road for ten years, at the expiration of which period he came to Youngstown, and for four years owned and conducted an oil warehouse. Disposing of this business, he spent ten years as assistant superintendent of the Metropolitan Insurance Company at Youngstown, and then assumed his present duties.

 

On September 28, 1868, he married Miss Laura I. Shaffer, born near Waynesburg, Ohio, a daughter of David and Eliza Shaffer, natives of Ohio and Scotland, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson became the parents of the following children: Alice M., who is at home; Albert, who died at the age of twenty-one years; Harry, who resides at Elyria, Ohio; Isabel, who is a public school teacher; Mabel, who is the wife of James Burnett, of Coitsville, Mahoning County, Ohio. The First Christian Church of Youngstown holds Mr. Jackson's membership, and he has served it in several official positions. He is a strong republican. His comfortable residence at 273 Scott Street is his property and he is also a stockholder in the Metropolitan Loan Association.

 

 

History of Ohio, The American Historical Society, Inc., 1925, Volume IV